COVID-Safe information for horticulture businesses

As Victoria responds to a large number of coronavirus cases, both in metropolitan Melbourne and regional Victoria, please consider if there are more actions your business could take to reduce the risk of COVID-19.

Get tested

If you have any cold or flu symptoms, get tested for COVID-19. Do not delay. Symptoms could include fever, chills or sweats, cough, sore throat, shortness of breath, runny nose and loss or change in sense of smell or taste.

The Victorian Government is providing a $450 COVID-19 Test Isolation Payment to support workers, including parents and guardians, who are required to self-isolate while waiting for a test result. The $1500 Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment is a one-off payment to help workers who have been directed to self-isolate or quarantine for 14 days, or care for someone who has been directed to self-isolate or quarantine.

Authorised Provider and Authorised Worker Permit

Horticulture growers and seasonal workers are authorised providers and workers. You can download a permit for yourselves or your workers.

COVID Marshals

COVID Marshals are recommended for horticulture operations using seasonal workers. COVID Marshals are responsible for monitoring a worksite’s compliance with its COVIDSafe Plan and additional industry-specific obligations. They support workers to follow COVID-Safe principles and look for ways to continually improve a business’s COVID-Safe Plan, including entry screening, physical distancing, personal protective equipment (PPE), workplace bubbles, hygiene, cleaning and record-keeping.

COVID-Safe Plan

All Victorian businesses with onsite operations must have a COVID-Safe Plan for each site. You must regularly review your COVIDSafe Plan to ensure it is current and reflects the latest advice.

Horticulture operations using seasonal workers for seasonal horticulture work are subject to additional industry obligations.

Your COVID-Safe Plan must demonstrate:

- your actions to help prevent the introduction of COVID-19 to your workplace

- the type of face mask or personal protective equipment (PPE) required for your workforce

- how you will prepare for, and respond to, a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19 in your workplace

- how you will meet all the requirements set out by the Victorian Government.

Victoria/NSW Border Bubble

Because New South Wales (NSW) is deemed an extreme risk zone, residents of the cross-border community local government areas are required to obtain a permit to cross between Victoria and NSW. Residents can apply for a permit at the Service Victoria website and via the Service Victoria app.

Victorian Travel Permits

Victoria has a travel permit system for all travel to Victoria. It’s a traffic light system based on the public health risk. All of New South Wales is designated as extreme risk.

Find out more about Victoria’s travel permit system for travellers coming to Victoria from anywhere in Australia or New Zealand, including exceptions and exemptions.

Vaccination centres  

Every Victorian aged 16 years and over is eligible to access a coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccine at state-run vaccination centres. Use the online booking system or call the Coronavirus Hotline on 1800 675 398.

You can also get your COVID-19 vaccine through participating doctor's clinics, pharmacies, or community health services.